Ikelite 71702 200DL Housing for Canon EOS 5D Mark III, 5D Mark IV, 5DS, 5DS R DSLR Cameras
A full-featured and durable waterproof housing for Canon EOS 5D Mark III, 5D Mark IV, 5DS, and 5DS R DSLR cameras. Suitable for scuba, snorkel, surf, pool, and any application in or around the water.
This housing requires the addition of a compatible DL Lens Port for waterproof operation. Lens Port not included.
- 60m (200′) depth rating
- Housing back is interchangeable with optional lightweight 50′ (15m) back (sold separately); the 50′ back is lighter weight for travel and perfect for snorkelling, surf, and pool work
- Perfect for any wet environment including surf, dive, and pool use
- Supremely functional for maximum creative control—access is provided for all important camera functions
- The NEW Dry Lock (DL) Port System gives added security at the surface of the water and accommodates large diameter lenses
- Extra-large, soft-touch zoom knob; Zoom is accessible for many lenses using our unique universal zoom gear system
- Vacuum valve included (pump sold separately)
- Included Ikelite ICS-5 bulkhead connector with manual hotshoe for the reliable electrical triggering of underwater strobes; Optional TTL circuitry provides automatic exposure with compatible Ikelite DS strobes
- Control symbols are laser etched into the back and will never fade or rub off
- Quick install camera mount plate does not need to be removed for battery or memory card access
- One spare 1/2-20 threaded accessory port locations on the front of the housing for the addition of optional accessories
- Includes a balanced aluminium base with left-hand quick release handle; Right-hand handle sold separately
- Signature open-groove design suspends the rear o-ring in a natural position that is easier to maintain and more reliable than forcing the o-ring into a channel
- ABS-PC and Lexan construction is fundamentally corrosion-resistant
- Made in the USA; Individually inspected for fit and water pressure tested to depth
- 2 year limited warranty
The single most important feature is the new Dry Lock (DL) port system. This exciting new system is designed to be robust and easy to assemble. It is built for reliable performance in the most remote of locations, meaning that there are no complex moving parts that may break and jeopardize your shoot.
Our new DL series ports are lighter and more adaptable than their FL counterparts. They accommodate popular large diameter, full-frame lenses with ease. If you’re considering shooting professional quality lenses like the Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L III, then the DL system is essential.
Most popular zoom lenses and select lens focus rings can be engaged using a simple yet effective gearing system that puts adjustment right at your fingertips. A large, soft-touch lobed knob on the side of the housing makes fine-tuned adjustments a breeze. Zoom and focus gears differ depending on which lens you are using. All are lightweight and affordable. Refer to the DL System Port Chart to choose the correct gear. Zoom gears are sold separately.
Using Legacy Four Lock (FL) Ports
Due to differences in mount diameter and zoom engagement, DL and FL system ports cannot be used interchangeably. The DL port mount may be removed and replaced with the Port Locks for FL Port System (Set of 4) # 5509.04 for legacy users with standard or modular ports from our Four Lock system. This modification will prevent the use of newer DL ports. The housing cannot be converted back and forth repeatedly. Re-installation of the DL port base will require the housing to be returned to Ikelite or an Authorized Dealer and will incur additional service charges. There are significant advantages to upgrading your lens ports. For example, if you’re shooting an 8″ diameter dome, you’ll also save almost .907g (2 pounds) by using the DL version instead.
The included vacuum valve allows you to vacuum test the housing to check for leaks prior to putting your expensive equipment in the water. Combined with a full view of the camera and an o-ring seal through the back of the housing, there is no greater assurance that your gear will be safe. Our signature open-groove design suspends the rear o-ring in a natural position that is easier to maintain and more reliable than forcing the o-ring into a channel.
Use of the vacuum valve requires a compatible Vacuum Pump with Gauge # 47011, sold separately.
This housings supports your choice of shooting with manual strobe exposure or adding a TTL converter depending on your application. The flash bulkhead is located on the top of the case to reduce strain on the sync cord.
You can enjoy the fastest and most accurate TTL exposure on the market by adding the DL5 DS Link Canon TTL Converter and CT1 TTL Hotshoe Kit # 46075 and a compatible Ikelite DS strobe. Exposure compensation can be used added or subtracted in the camera.
Reliable locking connectors between the hotshoe and bulkhead make it easy to install the CT1 TTL Hotshoe or carry backup parts when travelling to remote locations.
Controls and Set-Up
The shutter and AF-ON controls are set apart by ergonomic and sensitive curved lever actuators. Both controls can optionally be extended using the Shutter Trigger Extension # 4077.95 for more comfortable use when using a right-hand quick release handle. If you’re not already using back button focus, we recommend learning this valuable trick.
All knob controls are upgraded to our new soft-touch design which gives you extra grip and feels good whether you’re diving with gloves or bare hands. Our push buttons have been redesigned to reduce weight and salt build-up. The back of the housing features laser engraved control symbols that will never fade or fall off.
Control placement mimics the way you use the camera on the surface to take advantage of muscle memory and avoid the need to re-learn your camera’s controls.
The camera mount is front-loading for easy installation and removal. A small mounting plate attaches to the bottom of the camera and secures in the front of the housing. The camera mounting plate does not need to be removed from the camera for surface use or when changing the battery or memory cards. The mounting plate features a 1/4-20 threaded mount on the bottom so that it can be attached to a tripod on the surface.
The clear acrylic back provides a full view of the camera, o-ring, LCD screen. The camera’s Access Lamp is visible through the back.
The included SuperEye Viewfinder provides an enhanced view of the camera’s optical viewfinder when viewed through a dive mask. The viewfinder removes quickly and easily for the attachment of an optional Straight Magnified Viewfinder # 6890 or 45° Magnified Viewfinder (Type 2) # 6891.2.
Handling & Travel
Overall the housing is over 1/2 pound lighter than a typical FL counterpart. Our new hard anodized aluminium base with a quick-release handle has also been streamlined for travel and is over 3/4 pound lighter than our previous DSLR tray and handle system. The Right-Hand Quick Release Handle # 4077.02 (sold separately) can be added or removed depending on how you want to shoot. The precision-machined aluminium base features 1/4-20 tripod mounting sockets and additional mounting locations for future accessories. Plus, the base and handle can be quickly removed when breaking down your system for travel.
A 1/4-20 threaded mounting point is located front and centre on the housing above the lens port mount. This mount can be used to attach lightweight accessories like a focus light or GoPro camera.
If you’re shooting with two strobes or lighting arms, then an Aluminum Top Handle # 4080.08 can be added to make the system easier to carry to and from the dive site. The rigid aluminium version provides additional mounting points for lighting and accessories.
Ikelite’s new white ABS-PC blend front is stronger than its clear counterpart, provides improved contrast and visibility, and keeps your camera running cooler in the sun. This material is 1/3 of the specific gravity of aluminium, making the housing much lighter and fundamentally corrosion-free.
The unique rear seal design prevents accidental twisting or stretching of the o-ring for simple and confident assembly. We have eliminated the need for an o-ring groove or channel which can trap sand, dirt, or debris. Two double-passivated stainless steel locking lid snaps are simple to use and virtually unbreakable. The clear back allows you to see the o-ring form a solid, watertight seal as it closes.
A spare 1/2-20 threaded accessory port is included on the top of the housing near the bulkhead for expansion to future uses.
Like all of our housings, this product is made in the USA, individually inspected for fit, and water pressure tested to 60m (200 feet).
Ikelite DS Strobes
Ikelite DS series strobes can be used in manual exposure modes when attached directly to the housing using Single Sync Cord # 45151 or Dual Sync Cord # 45152. Add the DL5 DS Link Canon TTL Converter and CT1 TTL Hotshoe Kit # 46075 for the most accurate exposure and fastest triggering on the market. The TTL Kit installs quickly and easily and requires no batteries to weaken or die during your shoot. Only Ikelite DS strobes are capable of powering up and communicating with the TTL Kit.
Ikelite Non-Digital Strobes
Older non-digital strobes featuring an ICS-5 electrical sync cord bulkhead can be used with this system in manual exposure modes.
SEA&SEA, INON, or Retra Strobes
SEA&SEA, INON, or Retra strobes with an electrical connection can be triggered in manual exposure modes using Single Sync Cord # 45281 or Dual Sync Cord # 45282. Strobes without an electrical sync cord connection cannot be attached to this system unless slaved off of a hard-wired strobe.
Fibre optic only strobes are not compatible with this installation. An external strobe must be connected by an electrical sync cord.
Strobes with remote slave capabilities may be triggered off of a flash attached to the housing by an electrical sync cord. Ikelite DS strobes support remote triggering using the Optical Slave Converter # 4405 or the Water Wizard system (manufactured and sold by Aquatica).
This housing is only compatible with Canon EOS 5D Mark III, 5D Mark IV, 5DS, and 5DS R cameras as shipped by the manufacturer. Unless otherwise noted, this housing does not accommodate the use of add-on grips, battery grips, eyepieces, LCD covers, or other accessories.
Differences in lens and control placement prevent other camera models from being used in this housing. This housing is not usable with prior 5D (Mark I) or 5D Mark II cameras. We are not aware of any other models which may be used in or adapted to this particular housing.
- 60m (200′) depth rating
- Compatible with DL system lens ports
- 1/4-20 thread base mounts with 3.5″ spacing
- Near neutral buoyancy in freshwater
- Actual buoyancy varies depending on the choice of lens and port
- 2.3 kg (5.1 lb)
- 234 x 180 x 165 mm (9.2 x 7.1 x 6.5″)
- 2 year limited warranty
In the Box
- Rear O-ring # 0132.61
- Front O-ring # 0132.45
- Zoom Gear Retainer # 75900
- Port Hole Cover # 0200.92
- Waterproof Bulkhead Cap # 9104.7
- Base with Left-Hand Quick Release Handle # 4077.67
- Tool for Zoom Gear Retainer # 0945.06
- .050″ Hex Key # 0945.11
- 1/16″ Hex Key # 0945.16
- Silicone Lubricant # 5020
- Spare Rear O-Ring # 0132.61. Carry a backup in case the original seal becomes damaged.
- Spare Front O-Ring # 0132.45. Carry a backup in case the original seal becomes damaged.
- Vacuum Pump with Gauge # 47011. Pressurize the housing to check for leaks prior to entering the water.
- Right-Hand Quick Release Handle # 4077.02. Makes a double tray for easier handling and a second attachment point for strobes or lights.
- Trigger Extension # 4077.95. Recommended if using the Right-Hand Quick Release Handle. Brings shutter or AF-ON lever out to handle for more comfortable use.
- DL5 DS Link Canon TTL Converter and CT1 TTL Hotshoe Kit # 46075 for Fast, Accurate, automatic TTL strobe exposure when used together with compatible Ikelite DS strobes.
- 45º Magnified Viewfinder (Type 1) # 6891.2 Brighter, larger, and more ergonomic positioning when shooting underwater. Rotates for landscape or portrait shots.
Adding an external strobe or video light enhances your photos’ colour and sharpness underwater. If you will be shooting below 13m (45 ft) or in an indoor pool, your photos will be predominantly blue-green without an artificial light source.